Hi My Friends!
Today is Littlemas Day 23, and today is all about getting in the kitchen and baking some gingerbread cookies. This recipe is so near and dear to my heart, because it comes from my Daddy! Now anyone who knows me, knows that I love gingerbread. I love gingerbread candles. I love gingerbread short bread. I love gingerbread cookies. And I love gingerbread face scrub. (Yes, that’s a thing 😉 ). Gingerbread gives you the pleasure of eating a subtly sweet cookie, all while smiling at the adorable decorations on each one. The trick to getting a good gingerbread dough, is to make it ahead of time and refrigerate it to allow the dough to stiffen.
Now daddy’s recipe is unique in that it involves a blend of aromatic spices to really give the gingerbread a “zip” that smells of Christmas time. The cocoa powder cuts through the sweetness with an earthy undertone and it all comes together beautifully.
As you eat your gingerbread cookies, slip into Little Space, and enjoy watching “The Gingerbread Baby”. If you don’t have the book, then please enjoy this read aloud video! Enjoy this recipe everyone, and as always, keep on smiling! 🙂
Or, if you’d like the digital version… scroll down! 🙂
Daddy’s Gingerbread Cookies
Serves: 2 dozen Gingerbread Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 ½ teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground garam masala
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- First cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl. Then beat in the egg and molasses.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into little (or big) gingerbread people.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes or until the edges are firm.
- Place on a wire rack to cool. Then decorate and enjoy!