Happy Independence Day to all my fellow American readers! Today I wanted to pause for a moment in my family time, and write a post to you about why I love America. I’m not the type of girl to don American flag attire and blast the radio so that the whole world can hear my music. (Though apparently my neighbors are at the moment lol). Instead, I want to reflect on all of the things I love about our beautiful nation. It’s true that America has a lot of issues, but for today…. right here and now…. I just want to be positive. Now, let’s dive in.
- I love the diverse terrain that spans across our country. We truly have it all. Snowy mountains with lush waterfalls, dry deserts with towering cacti, rolling plains that stretches for miles upon miles, and sleepy blue-green hills that lead into quiet, Southern towns. We have such a diverse topography that vacationing within America can truly be a treat!
- We can experience every global culture right here within our borders. I love it that we are a country founded on immigrants. I absolutely love getting to meet new people, and experiencing new cultures. Not 2 months ago did I meet a wonderful woman visiting California for the first time. By sheer luck we bumped into each other, her in a stunning, golden sari and I… well… in yoga pants. But she smiled at me, clasped her hands together, and bowed her head. “Namaste” she said warmly. I mimicked her actions, greeting her “Namaste” (the traditional greeting in India) and then proceeded to learn more about Mumbai where she lives! 🙂
- I love that we are a democratic nation. Now, I know that the world loves to make fun of our President. But politics aside, I love that we are a nation founded in freedom of speech and the press. I love that I can blog here and speak my mind without fear of repercussion. It truly is a gift that I don’t take for granted.
- We have some incredible patriotic songs. If you know the historical story behind the “Star Spangled Banner” then you understand why it’s so moving. If not, click this link to watch an incredible YouTube video over the subject. Beyond our national anthem, we have some amazing patriotic songs. But the one that always makes me choke up is, “God Bless the U.S.A.” by: Lee Greenwood.
- We know how to chow down. I love every nation. But when it comes to food, I have to brush off our shoulder a bit because America knows how to party. We have tailgate parties. We have Superbowl Sunday. We have cooking shows galore. We have fair food in nearly every state, and we have specialty dishes in each region of America. It’s awesome!
- We know how to band together in times of trouble. You know, I’ve lived in this country for almost 35 years. And in that time, I have seen presidents come and go. I’ve seen politics bounce around. But the people of America know how to band together when times get tough. When 9/11 happened, no one cared what the color of their skin was. We cared about helping everyone to safety. We came together in a chorus and outcry longing to know who attacked our nation. When women felt violated, an entire wave of #metoo rose up like a tsunami and women across every state marched openly with signs demanding justice and equal rights for women. The people of America have always been outspoken, and fighters for equality and justice.
- We’re quite the giving bunch too. Though the news sources love to share stories about the horrible atrocities that happen, there are many good things that happen daily here too. There are grassroots organizations all across America working hard to help people. There are celebrities who tirelessly go to places of poverty or strife and put in time, money, and resources, to lift people up. (Like Jaden Smith did in Flint, Michigan recently). There are food banks continually feeding America’s population each and every day. Personally, I remember my own community coming together when my area got ravaged by the Thomas Wildfire of 2018. It was a very humbling moment. Is our system perfect? Of course not. But the heartbeat of America, which are its citizens, are a good group of people.
- I love it that people can practice any religion here without persecution. I don’t care if you’re Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu, Pagan, Wiccan, Jahai, Shinto, Confuctionist, Tao, Unitarian Universalist, or anything else! If you live here in America, you’re welcome to believe, and practice anything your heart desires. 🙂 Coexistence people!
- I love that we have fair wages for work here. I once had a friend of mine, who lives in another country, tell me that they make $4-6 USD per day. I was stunned. Here in America there are laws to protect workers from being ripped off like that. There is a minimum wage in place to help workers get some semblance of a paycheck for all of the hard labor they do. Again, is it perfect? No. But at least it’s something.
- Lastly, I love that we have the right to vote. There are countries around the world where people lose their lives for voting for certain candidates. Their “right to vote” really isn’t a right at all. It’s a threat to vote for a certain party…. or else! Here in America, we can march into the polls and vote for who we think is the best person for office. We have an opinion, and a right as a citizen to place our vote how we choose. I’m thankful that we have the right to be heard like that.
So today, on America’s Independence Day, I urge you to pause and count your blessings. 🙂 Think about all of the things you’re thankful for. Soak up the time with your loved ones because time is the greatest gift in the world. Have a wonderful 4th everyone!