Yesterday I was in a funk. I needed food that made me feel comforted, nourished, and could help me relax. It was time for my creamy tomato soup. I created this recipe several years ago after tasting a similar version at a local Mexican restaurant in town. While I didn’t get their recipe, I was able to come up with my own version that tastes divine and is super simple to make. I hope you all enjoy it. For an extra fun twist on this dish, slice your grilled cheese sandwich into long rectangles to make “dippers” for your soup! Trust me, it’s delicious!! Have a great day, everyone! Stay tuned for the next post.
Creamy Pesto Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
For the Soup:
- 2 large family-sized cans of Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- 1 small jar pesto
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. chicken bouillon
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- a pinch of black pepper
For the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
- 12 slices of sturdy bread (I used a loaf of country potato bread)
- 1 pack of pre-sliced Mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. of Earth Balance “butter” per sandwich
- In a large soup pot, add all of the soup ingredients into the pot. Warm over medium-high heat until bubbling. Stir occasionally and it’s done!
- In a frying pan, add in the Earth Balance butter. Melt over medium-high heat. Then add 2 slices of bread into the melted butter and immediately put cheese on each open face of the sandwich. (I used 3 slices per sandwich).
- Fry for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese begins to soften. Then using tongs, put the sandwich together and flip over in the pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove and cut into triangles or strips to make “dippers” for the soup. Ladle soup into bowls while hot, serve with a sandwich, and dig in! You’ve earned it! 🙂