I’m sliding in here real quick to share with you a recipe that I made the other night. It’s fast, cheap, easy, and so delicious! I grew up in the South, in a place where we had fried pickles and green tomatoes on the regular. But when I moved to the West Coast, suddenly it became extremely difficult to find these hearty, savory-tasting tomatoes. If you live outside of the South, check out your local farmer’s market to pick up a batch of these. Unlike Roma or any other red tomato, green tomatoes are very firm, and taste savory and slightly sour when cooked. They are sublime! Trust me. 🙂 This recipe strips away the usual fatty culprit (oil) and replaces it with being oven baked. The result is a baked tomato that is healthy, but packed with flavor. I know you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.
Side note: To make this recipe a little space activity, have your Little slip into the head space as they dip the tomato slices into the egg wash and panko bread crumbs. They will enjoy getting dirty while helping mommy or daddy in the kitchen! 🙂
Oven Baked Southern-Style Green Tomatoes
- 4 large green tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 4 cups of Panko breadcrumbs
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F)/ 200 degrees (C)/ Gas Mark 6.
- In one mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together. In another mixing bowl, add the breadcrumbs and the seasonings.
- Dip the tomato rounds first into the eggs, then dip into the breadcrumbs. Coat on both sides completely and set onto a baking sheet. Repeat until all the rounds are coated.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until crispy. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy! You’ve earned it! 🙂
** Side note: the dipping sauce I used here was 1 packet of Southwest jalapeno salad dressing mixed with a pinch of shredded Cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. It was GREAT! **