Good Evening Friends!!
The internet gods have smiled upon the farm and restored my connection to the world once again! (YAY!) And just in time, because this is a GIANT REMINDER!!
** If you’re interested in receiving one of two copies of my latest book “The DDLG Busy Book, Vol. 2” for my Birthday Book Giveaway, there are 24 more hours left to comment on this post and sign up for a chance to win! ❤ Big hugs to everyone!!**
Tonight I want to talk about pumpkin chili, Fall, Halloween, and just ramble a bit. 🙂 How does that sound? 😉 So let’s talk about Halloween! Is anyone else out there fighting the consumerism gods to NOT purchase bucket-loads of candy? I was at the grocery store the other day when they strategically placed a GIANT pallet of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup and Hershey’s bar combo packages right at the front of the store where you get your shopping cart. I inhaled deeply and looked at the candy for a moment. Both are favorites of mine, but I’ve been doing so well keeping chocolate out of the home. An internal monologue swirled in my mind as I stood there with several other shoppers eyeing the overpriced bags of sweets.
“170 calories for 2 mini Hershey’s isn’t that bad, right….?”
“I don’t need candy and my ass certainly doesn’t need candy!”
“Yeah, but it’s CHOCOLATE! Mmpf!”
“I mean… if there was ever a time to eat chocolate…. Halloween is the perfect excuse to do so!”
I could feel the little devil and angel sitting on each of my shoulders having a bickering match between my ears. I glanced over at the bananas several feet away I
forced myself walked over to choose that instead. Small victories, my friends. Halloween is such an interesting time of the year. For some it means all things spooky. For others it’s a time to remember their ancestors. And still others prefer to keep things cute instead of scary. I’m in the “cute not scary” group. How do I know? Because the other night my tween daughter begged me to watch a scary movie. I had been holding off for a bit to indulge her desire to see her first thriller. But the time had come and she wanted to watch one. “It’s Halloween!” she pleaded. I sighed and we decided to watch, “The Ring”. For some reason I thought it was about aliens. I can handle aliens.
Just for the record, the movie is NOT about aliens!
It’s about some twisted dead chick who kills people after watching some messed up video and comes through the TV all wet and scary-like. By the end of the movie we made a family decision to swear off thrillers for the future and my daughter is thankful that we don’t have cable to ever have static on the TV screen (lol). Do you enjoy thriller movies?
Now, let’s talk about food… one of the BEST parts of Fall!
Pumpkin chili is insanely easy to do. The formula is simple:
- Choose 1 ground protein
- Choose 1 canned bean
- Pour in 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin
- Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes chopped
- Add in chicken broth
- Choose 1 bag of frozen veggies (or several cups of your favorite fresh veggies)
- Finish everything with your favorite herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme… like the song 😉 ).
- Toss it all in a slow cooker for 4 hours and you’re done!
But let’s put this knowledge in a pretty recipe format, shall we?…. ❤
Easy Pumpkin Chili
- 1 lb. Extra lean ground turkey
- 3 cans white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree
- 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups of fresh kale, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried parley
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, drizzle some olive oil and brown the ground turkey until fully cooked. Add in the onion and saute until tender. Then add the meat and onion into the slow cooker.
- Add in the beans, pumpkin, vegetables, broth, and herbs.
- Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook in LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours, and you’re done!
- Serve hot with bread or a nice salad! 🙂
Alright my friends, that’s it from me for this post. I hope you enjoyed it! Stay tuned for more fun adventures in my birthday week and I will see you all back here for the next topic!