Good Morning Friends!
It has been a hot minute since I have written in this series. My apologies for this series stagnating. The last post in this series was back in February just before the pandemic hit the U.S. hard. Now, while we are still in a giant 2nd wave of positive cases, I have learned along the way that making time for Little Space while in self-isolation is important for my mental health. As always, you do not need a caregiver/dominant to go into Little Space. All of you single littles out there, know that I’m thinking about you. You are just as valid and beautiful!! ❤
Today’s challenge is to give pet play a try.
When I first entered the lifestyle my concept of pet play was quite limited. I knew that there were relationship dynamics with an Owner and their sub-pet. I knew that there were people who wanted to submit as a pet part, and full time. And that was great, but it wasn’t completely for me. I love animals, and I was curious about pet play, but I didn’t want it to my exclusive form of submission. I wanted to “dabble” and explore pet play on my own terms. Today I challenge you to do the same.
As a Little, there are many ways that you can explore pet play without crawling around on the floor following your dominant. Here are a few ideas to get your brain bubbling:
- Wear clothing that connects you to your favorite animal. (I have cat ears and a bunny hat because both animals resonate with me).
- Watch cute videos or shows that feature adorable animals. Look at the way the animal naturally behaves and feel out what resonates with you. Are you a timid bunny? A skittish deer? An adventurous lion? A needy kitten? A playful puppy? You get the idea.
- Play fun video games that will allow you to connect with your animal. Animal Crossing is widely popular among Littles.
- Go out (safely and with a mask!) to places that your favorite animal likes to frequent. Take a walk around the park. Go for a hike on a nature trail. Walk on the beach. Swim in the pool. Being in the environment of your spirit animal will help you connect on a deeper level.
- Figure out what qualities you love about your favorite animal, then find movies that shows them in an animated way. (For example: Deer= Bambi, Rabbits= Calico Critters, Kittens = Aristocats or The Cat Returns, Puppies = 101 Dalmatians, etc.) These movies are excellent to watch in Little Space!
Now, many people can’t go crawling around on the floor to play fetch or to go for a walk next to their dominant’s heels. That’s okay, don’t fret. There are many modifications you can make to still feel like a pet while protecting your body. Some of these include:
- Put down a plushy carpet designed to protect the hands and knees if you do want to crawl around. Thick foam mats also work very well.
- Consider wearing knee pads and gloves. (You can paint and make them pretty!) These are especially helpful if you want to do outdoor play and will protect your joints.
- Scrap floor play altogether and try playing up on the bed! You can do belly rubs, snuggles, and make your pet eat from a bowl all while keeping everyone comfortable.
- Take your Little to the beach or a sandbox and let them crawl around there. Sand is very soft and forgiving to the body.
- Have your pet walk around wearing a jingly collar (which will definitely put them in the head space of a pet). You can even get a collar that allows them to be led by a leash.
Remember: the focus of pet play is to choose and enjoy the aspects that bring both you (the dominant) and your little (the pet) joy and fun. Do what feels right. Talk about things before you dive in. Plan your play session. (Don’t forget the 4 steps to any healthy play session: plan, play, aftercare, and debrief!). By doing so, you’re sure to be successful!
If you’re in the market for some pet play gear, here are a few shops that I recommend:
Alright my friends, that’s it from me for this post. I hope you all enjoyed it. If you did, hit that like button and let me know. Smash that follow button if you’re new around here, and I will see you back here for the next topic!