Good Afternoon Friends!
It’s nearing Thanksgiving here in the United States, and that means that everyone and their second cousin is flocking to the grocery store to stock up on food for “the big meal”. And yet, we are also entering a 2nd massive wave of COVID-19 cases. The impact has hit my state so hard that it looks like we are about to go on lockdown again. The first time (back in March) my life came to a screeching halt. I was terrified. While the cases are higher this time around, I know what to expect in “lockdown life”. It may be the “most wonderful time of the year”, but it won’t be wonderful if we infect each other with a deadly, contagious virus! We need to be vigilant. We need to wear our masks, wash our hands, and socially distance.
Like every parent out there living the lockdown life, my daughter has been bubbling with holiday questions galore. “Will Santa come?”. “Are we going to go caroling?”. “What about the community parade that we go to every year… will that be happening?”. Lockdown hasn’t been easy for children. My child is homeschooled so in many ways life hasn’t been that jarred. However, I empathize for the families where everything got turned upside down. “Don’t worry”, I told my daughter, “it’s still going to be a holly, jolly holidays”. My mind bubbled with creativity. I couldn’t let her down. I had to create a list of quarantine advent ideas to count down to Christmas. I needed to show her that life finds a way. Yes, we are in a pandemic. Yes… America is under stress because of this election craziness. However, life find a way to go on!
So, here is my list to you. 🙂 May it bring your family as much joy as it will bring ours.
24 Quarantine Advent Ideas
- Drive around in your car to see holiday lights
- Sing carols with candles in your home
- Bake cookies
- Swap dry ingredients in a jar and drop off on porches to friends and family
- Zoom Christmas party
- Decorate your tree and send pictures to each other via text sharing your creations
- Play games online with friends: guess that holiday song, holiday charades, etc.
- Share a virtual meal with loved ones. Mukbang together!
- Instead of sending Christmas cards… send a Christmas video greeting online to everyone you love!
- Make hot cocoa and watch a holiday movie
- Wear festive pajamas
- Read holiday books together (or watch read aloud holiday books on YouTube!)
- Make your own ornaments
- Try picking up litter in your own community and give a gift to the Earth.
- Attend a virtual caroling service
- Build a gingerbread house and show it off online
- Virtual holiday party bingo
- Play “The Naughty List” game with friends online
- Write letters to Santa and mail them! https://about.usps.com/holidaynews/operation-santa.htm
- Wrap presents (that you shopped for online!)
- Use your amazon boxes to make a snowman!
- Cook a holiday meal with your partner
- Take a walk in nature (wearing a mask and social distancing!)
- Read “Twas the night before Christmas”!